Saturday, February 5, 2011

English Sea Glass

While I have enough sea glass from Gtmo to last me a long, long time, there is something very appealing to me about sea glass from other places. Puerto Rico, California, England, Scottland...The list goes on and on and I am amazed to find new places everywhere I look.

I have begun incorporating sea glass from Seaham, England into some of my jewelry. Everything about it is different than what I am used to.

The colors and combination of colors that are found in English sea glass, specifically from the shore of Seaham, are some of the most unique and beautiful I have ever seen! The shapes are unique as well. Many of these gems from the sea are perfectly round, not marbles, but round bits of glass that make me wonder "What in the world are they from?"

From what I could glean from the internet, the story goes a little like this...

A long time ago, sea glass lore always starts like this...there were many glass work shops in the Seaham area. All of the cast offs, cut off bits and just plain old trash were tossed over the cliffs and into the ocean. That long ago everyone who lived near the coast used the sea as their own personal garbage can! Now those piece of trash are being collected and traded throughout the world as highly sought after treasures.

Although Guantanamo Bay, Cuba will always be my first love when it comes to sea glass, there is much to learn and admire in the variety and complexity of sea glass from all over the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment