Wednesday, January 5, 2011

It's All About the Color...

As our tour in Gtmo went on we became total beach bums and spent most of our free time at one of three beaches. Glass Beach was my favorite. I think I probably found most of my glass on that beach or in the waters snorkeling the surrounding area. Ferry Landing and Girlscout Beaches are great places to hunt also but I was just always lured to Glass by it's secluded and peaceful feel.

As the story goes, the glass comes from a dump site that lies just before all of these beaches right at the cliff and waters edge. Some digging in the dump area will produce melted bottles of every size and color and even some old silver eating utensils. A good friend found a pocket watch 10 feet underwater! My treasure hunting excursions were solely focused on sea glass.

When it comes to sea glass, it's all about the color!

The most common colors, clear, browns, greens and coke bottle...Yes, Coke Bottle. You will rarely hear sea foam green referred to as Coke Bottle but, if it was found off the shores of Gtmo and it's sea foam green, then it is most likely the remains of an old Coca Cola bottle.

The rarest and most beautiful colors? My next topic of discussion....

No comments:

Post a Comment